Encryption plays a major role in this era of technology. Since the scammers use various means to get hold of a user’s data. Hence, it becomes his responsibility to secure his personal as well as financial information. People using Office 365 can now use this feature in Outlook. Whenever he sends an email after encrypting it, then it will send in a scrambled ciphertext instead of a plain text message. If the recipient is having the private key to decipher the text, then only he will be able to read and understand the content in the email.
The Outlook users are provided with two options to use the encryption method; one is S/MIME encryption and Office 365 Message Encryption. The later method of encryption is included in the Office 365 Enterprise E3 license. Hence, the upcoming section will guide you through the email encryption process in Office 365.
Steps to encrypt with Office 365 message encryption
If you are an Office 365 subscriber, you can easily encrypt your emails by going through the following method:
- Open an email and click on the “Options” option.
- From here, select the option that says “Encrypt”.
- The new page will display a list of encryption options.
- You have to select that option that is having the restrictions you want to impose.
- You may choose from the two options that are “Encrypt-Only” or “Do Not Forward”.
Method to encrypt a single message
- Open the email composition window and click on the “File” option.
- Now, tap on the “Properties” option.
- From here, click on the “Security Settings” option.
- After this, tap on the checkbox that is present next to “Encrypt message contents and attachments”.
- You can now start composing your message followed by clicking on the “Send” option.
Method to encrypt all outgoing messages
- Navigate to the “File” tab and select “Options”.
- Now, tap on “Trust Center”.
- This should be followed by tapping on “Trust Center Settings”.
- From the “Email Security” tab, select the checkbox that says “Encrypt contents and attachments for outgoing messages”.
How to open an encrypted email in Outlook?
If you are wondering how do I view an encrypted email in Outlook?then you may do this quite easily. There is a Semi-Annual Channel in Office 365 which takes you to the Outlook on the web letting you read the messages. The users who are having other email accounts will be prompted to obtain a one-time passcode. This passcode will allow them to read the message in a browser window.
Unable to open encrypted email Microsoft Office 365- Resolve now
In this situation, the first thing a user needs to do is to check that he is connected to the Internet or not. You can easily do this by navigating to any website and checking if it works or not. If your Internet works properly, then you should ensure that there is a link in the encrypted email message. This link should be read as “Read the message”. If it is not there, then you may contact the sender and ask him to send the link again. For more information on encryption, you may navigate to office.com/setup.