Many users have been reportedly facing issues while sending or receiving messages from Outlook because most of the time their Outlook won’t open or display a certain error message. But you should not worry as you can get it back in working position if you know what the reason behind the occurrence of the issues is. The troubleshooting steps may vary for different versions of Outlook.
Why my Microsoft Outlook won’t open?
There could be several reasons why Outlook is not opening on your device, but the chief reasons for this issue can be outdated software. Other than this, it could also happen if you haven’t repaired your profile lately. By fixing these common problems you may get rid of the ‘Outlook won’t open’ issue. If these are not the reason behind the issue, then you might be seeing certain error codes that have a separate fix. Therefore, here’s how you can fix this issue of Outlook in no time.
Troubleshooting steps to fix ‘Outlook won’t open’
Method 1- Disable all add-ins
If there is more than one add-in in Outlook, then these might conflict with each other. In this situation, disabling the add-ins might help. So, here how to disable the add-ins if you are using Outlook 365, Outlook 2013, Outlook 2010, and Outlook 2007.
- First of all, start Outlook in Safe Mode.
- Now, select ‘File’ and then select ‘Options’.
- Further, go to the left pan and select ‘Add-ins’.
- Look at the Manage box at the bottom of the Outlook Options window and ensure that COM Add-ins are selected.
- After this, select ‘Go’ and make a list of the add-ins before disabling them.
- Further, you need to clear all of the selected checkboxes in the COM Add-ins list.
- Select ‘Remove’ followed by ‘File’.
- In the end, choose ‘Exit’.
Method 2- Repair Outlook in Windows 10
- Begin by closing all the Microsoft Office apps.
- Now, go to the ‘Apps & Features’ tab of your device.
- Select Microsoft Office from the list of installed apps and then select ‘Modify’.
- Select ‘Yes’ when UAC appears.
- In the next window, select ‘Online Repair’ and then tap the ‘Repair’ button.
- You should restart Outlook when the repair process completes.
Steps to fix ‘Outlook won’t open’ in Mac
These troubleshooting steps can be used in Outlook 2016 and Outlook 2011 for Mac. Updating the app in your Mac can help in getting rid of the issue. So, you should check for and install available updates if there are any.
- Open any Office app such as Word and go to its ‘Help’ section.
- Further, select ‘Check for Updates’.
- When you see “How would you like updates to be installed?” message on your screen, you need to select ‘Automatically Download and Install’.
- Again select ‘Check for Updates’ and see if it works.
Outlook won’t open in safe mode- fix now
In this situation, you should repair or reinstall Outlook by using office.com/setup internal repair function. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to the ‘Programs & Features’ section of this device.
- Here, you need to locate ‘MS Office’ and click ‘Change’.
- Follow some on-screen instruction and select ‘Online Repair’.
If the aforementioned techniques do not help, then you may try to uninstall and then reinstall the version of Office or Outlook you are using.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I force Outlook to open?
For opening Outlook forcefully, go to the ‘Start’ menu and click ‘Run’. You may also press the ‘Win + R’ keys simultaneously to open the ‘Run’ box. When a new window opens, type the command outlook.exe /resetnavpane in the given space and select ‘OK’. After this, you can try to start Outlook again and see if it works.
Why won’t my Outlook open on my iPhone?
There was an iOS update that leads to this issue because of which there were some incompatibility issues between the email server of Microsoft and the Apple Mail App. Other than this, there might be a problem in the setting of the Mail app or some software glitches that are causing this problem. Email account configuration could also be one of the reasons.
To fix the ‘set of folders’ error message in Outlook, there are certain troubleshooting methods that can help. First of all, you can try to start Outlook in Safe Mode and if it doesn’t work, then you may disable the conflicting add-ins. Other than this, you can also try to create a new Outlook profile and see if it works. Repairing Outlook data files may also work.